Scott J. Edwards is an appellate and litigation attorney located in Boca Raton, Florida, and serving clients throughout the state of Florida. My practice is focused on appellate law, trial support, and complex motion practice. I am a third-generation Florida lawyer who is passionate about working with clients to meet their legal needs.
I have extensive experience in complex, high-stakes commercial, tort, and insurance appeals and litigation, with clients including major corporations in the automotive, theme park, railroad, construction, maritime, and insurance industries. I am skilled in the drafting and successful arguing of appellate briefs, summary judgment motions, and other complex and dispositive motions. I am experienced in all aspects of litigation from inception through trial and appeal.
I studied law at the Florida State University College of Law. I graduated with honors, ranked in the top 15% of my class. I also had the honor of serving on the Florida State University Law Review as Executive Editor and Notes & Comments, which published my article about insurance coverage for hurricane damages. I studied trial practice and evidence under Professor Charles Ehrhardt. I received the book award (highest grade in class) in Jurisprudence. I also studied law during a summer abroad in Paris and Montpellier, France.
During law school, I also served as an intern to the Hon. Emerson Thompson of Florida’s Fifth District Court of Appeal.
I completed my undergraduate studies at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with a major in Psychology and a minor in International Studies. I spent a semester abroad at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, studying international law and history.
I am admitted to practice in all Florida state courts, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, and the Supreme and Superior Courts of the United States Virgin Islands. I am co-chair of the Appellate Practice Committee of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association, and am Secretary of the Young Lawyers Section of the South Palm Beach County Bar Association. I am also a member of the Florida Bar’s Appellate Practice Section, the Florida Supreme Court Historical Society, The Fourth District Court of Appeal Historical Society, and the Palm Beach County Bar Association.
I began my career at the at the law firms of Carlton Fields and Zimmerman, Kiser, & Sutcliffe in Orlando. At these firms, I represented a broad range of corporate clients in litigation and appellate matters. I later moved to South Florida, where I joined the law firm of Conroy Simberg in their appellate practice section, with a focus on representing clients in the insurance industry.
I started Scott J. Edwards, P.A. in 2015 to provide my clients with high-quality, personalized, and efficient legal representation.
I live in Boca Raton, Florida with my wife Kelly, and my sons Oliver, Miles, and Rhys.
- Insurance Law
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Personal Jurisdiction & Venue Issues
- Federal Jurisdiction
- Complex Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Intentional Torts
- Negligent Security
- Moderator, Palm Beach County Bar Association Outstanding Appellate Advocacy Seminar
- Preservation of Error for Trial Attorneys, Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Insurance Coverage and the B.P. Oil Spill, Orange County Bar Association
- Personal Jurisdiction Arising From Internet Torts, Florida Lawyers Network
- Understanding Circuit Court Professionalism Panels, Florida Lawyers Network
- Personal Jurisdiction Arising from Internet Torts, The Advocate (South Palm Beach County Bar Association)
- Florida Supreme Court’s New Ruling on Collateral Source Rule, The Advocate (South Palm Beach County Bar Association)
- WHEREAS It Is Compulsory That Attorneys Shall Cease and Desist Forthwith From Using Said Legalese Found Herein, The Advocate (South Palm Beach County Bar Association)
- The Wind and the Waves, Florida State University Law Review